Kubota U17 Excavator : Price, Specs, Buyers Guide
The Kubota U17 excavator is part of Kubota’s renowned U-Series, and it perfectly exemplifies the concept of compact power. Measuring around 14 feet in length and just over 3 feet in width, the U17 is compact yet mighty.
With an operating weight of approximately 3,550 pounds, this compact excavator is incredibly easy to transport, fitting on a small trailer or in the bed of a truck. Its compact size enables it to navigate through tight spaces and tackle projects with restricted access.
Kubota U17 Main Features
All Kubota excavators, including the U17, are powered by Kubota Tier 4 emission engines. The modern engine design maximizes digging and lifting performance, delivers minimized noise and vibration, and meets the latest engine emission regulation
2. Two-Speed Drive
The U17 has a two-speed drive that allows for efficient machine manoeuvrability and backfill operations
The U17 is a zero-tail swing excavator, which means that the tail of the machine does not extend beyond the tracks. This makes it easier to operate in tight spaces and reduces the risk of damage to the machine or surrounding objects
The U17 features Kubota’s Intelligent Control System LCD panel, which accurately displays timely diagnostic readings and routine maintenance alerts. This helps reduce downtime and costly repair fees
The U17 features double-flanged track rollers and short-pitched rubber crawlers for improved undercarriage durability. The double-flanged track rollers help improve travel stability and performance, and the short-pitched rubber crawlers help minimize vibration during travel for improved operator comfort
The Kubota U17 Operator’s Manual contains safety, maintenance, and operations information
The U17 is a versatile machine that can be used for a variety of tasks, including digging, trenching, and landscaping. It comes with a dedicated bucket and quick coupler, and can be equipped with a range of attachments to suit different applications
The U17 delivers smooth performance, thanks to its improved pump capacity and extended dozer arm. These upgrades help operators get the job done more efficiently and more productively
The U17 is a compact excavator that can fit into tight spaces where larger machines cannot. Its small size makes it ideal for use in urban areas, residential properties, and other confined spaces
Kubota is known for producing reliable and durable machines, and the U17 is no exception. With proper maintenance and care, the U17 can provide years of trouble-free service.
- Responsive hydraulics: The U17’s hydraulic system provides smooth and responsive operation. This makes it easy to control the excavator and perform precise movements.
- Comfortable cabin: The U17’s cabin is spacious and comfortable, with a suspension seat that reduces vibration. This makes it possible to operate the excavator for long periods of time without fatigue.
- Safety features: The U17 is equipped with a number of safety features, including ROPS (Roll Over Protective Structure), TOPS (Tip Over Protective Structure), OPG (Operator Protective Guard) Level 1, and Kubota’s Anti-Theft System.
Kubota U17 Price
The price of the Kubota U17 excavator varies depending on the dealer, location, and condition of the machine. Here is some research that provide information on the price of the Kubota U17 excavator:
- MachineryTrader.com lists new and used Kubota U17 excavators for sale, but does not provide pricing information
- KubotaUSA.com suggests checking with a local dealer for the best offer on the U17 excavator
- EquipmentTrader.com lists used Kubota U17 excavators for sale, with prices ranging from $25,500 to $43,727
- Machinio.com lists used Kubota U17 excavators for sale, with prices ranging from $25,900 to $29,900
- TradeMachines.com lists used Kubota U17 excavators for sale, with an average price of $20,379 based on five offers
- HeartlandKubota.com lists a new 2022 Kubota U17 excavator for sale at a price of $34,500
In conclusion, the price of the Kubota U17 excavator varies depending on the dealer, location, and condition of the machine. It is recommended to check with a local dealer for the best offer on the U17 excavator.
Here are some examples of used Kubota U17 excavators that are currently for sale:
- 2019 Kubota U17-3A: £13,750 + VAT
- 2020 Kubota U17-3: £13,500 + VAT
- 2021 Kubota U17-3: £12,500 + VAT
Additional costs associated with purchasing a Kubota U17 Excavator
The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the Kubota U17 excavator excludes tax, dealer fees, and optional equipment
- Sales tax: Depending on the state or country where the machine is purchased, sales tax may be added to the purchase price.
- Delivery fees: If the machine needs to be transported to a different location, delivery fees may apply.
- Financing fees: If the machine is financed, there may be fees associated with the loan.
- Insurance: It is recommended to insure the machine to protect against damage or theft.
- Maintenance and repair costs: Regular maintenance and repair costs should be factored into the overall cost of owning the machine.
It is important to consider these additional costs when budgeting for the purchase of a Kubota U17 excavator.
Kubota U17 Specs
key specifications for the Kubota U17 excavator:
The Kubota U17 offers a number of benefits to construction and landscaping professionals, including:
- Versatility: The U17 is a versatile excavator that can be used for a variety of tasks, including site preparation, excavation, trenching, backfilling, loading and unloading, and landscaping.
- Power and performance: The U17 is powered by a powerful engine and equipped with responsive hydraulics. This gives it the power and performance needed to tackle a variety of tasks, even in challenging conditions.
- Safety and comfort: The U17 is equipped with a number of safety features and a comfortable cabin. This makes it a safe and comfortable excavator to operate, even for long periods of time.
Kubota U17 Applications
The Kubota U17 is a zero-tail swing mini excavator that is known for its versatility, power, and performance. It is a popular choice for a variety of construction and landscaping applications, including:
- Site preparation
- Loading and unloading
The U17 is powered by a Kubota D902-E4 engine that delivers 16.1 horsepower and 101 foot-pounds of torque. This engine is paired with a hydraulic system that provides smooth and responsive operation.
The U17 has a maximum digging depth of 7 feet, 10 inches, and a maximum reach of 12 feet, 8 inches. This makes it ideal for a variety of tasks, such as digging trenches for footings and drainage, excavating for foundations, and loading and unloading materials.
The U17 is also equipped with a number of features that make it safe and comfortable to operate, including:
- A spacious cabin with a comfortable suspension seat
- ROPS (Roll Over Protective Structure) and TOPS (Tip Over Protective Structure)
- OPG (Operator Protective Guard) Level 1
- Kubota’s Anti-Theft System
Kubota U17 Attachments
The Kubota U17 excavator is a versatile machine that can accept a wide range of attachments to enhance its capabilities for various construction and excavation tasks. Common attachments that can be used with the Kubota U17 include:
- Buckets: Various bucket sizes are available for different excavation and material handling tasks, such as digging, grading, and trenching.
- Augers: Auger attachments are used for drilling holes in the ground, making them ideal for tasks like planting trees, setting posts, or installing fence posts.
- Breakers (Hydraulic Hammers): Hydraulic breakers or hammers can be attached to the U17 to break through concrete or rock, making it suitable for demolition and concrete removal.
- Grapples: Grapple attachments allow you to pick up and move materials such as logs, rocks, or debris with precision.
- Thumbs: A thumb attachment enhances the machine’s gripping capability, useful for handling and placing objects with precision.
- Rippers: Ripper attachments are designed for breaking up hard or compacted surfaces, making them ideal for site preparation.
- Trenchers: Trenching attachments are specialized for creating narrow, deep trenches and are commonly used in utility installation projects.
- Compactors: You can attach compactors to compact soil or gravel, ensuring a stable foundation for construction projects.
- Hydraulic Graders: Grader attachments can be used for precision grading and leveling tasks.
- Rakes: Rake attachments are useful for land clearing and debris removal.
The ability to use these attachments greatly enhances the versatility of the Kubota U17 excavator, making it suitable for a wide range of applications, from construction and landscaping to agriculture and utility work.
When selecting attachments, be sure to consider your specific project requirements and consult with your local Kubota dealer to ensure compatibility and proper installation.
Additionally, always follow safety guidelines and the manufacturer’s recommendations when using attachments with the Kubota U17 or any other heavy equipment.
Kubota U17 Bucket
The Kubota U17 excavator can be equipped with various types of buckets to accommodate different excavation and material handling tasks. The choice of bucket depends on the specific application and the type of material you need to handle. Common types of buckets that can be used with the Kubota U17 include:
- Digging Bucket: A standard digging bucket is the most commonly used attachment for excavators. It is designed for general excavation, trenching, and digging tasks. The size of the digging bucket can vary to match the machine’s capabilities and the depth and width of the trench or hole you need to excavate.
- Trenching Bucket: Trenching buckets are narrower than standard digging buckets, making them ideal for creating narrow trenches. They are commonly used in utility installation and landscaping projects.
- Grading Bucket: Grading buckets are typically wider and flatter, designed for grading and leveling tasks. They help ensure a smooth and even surface, making them useful for landscaping and roadwork.
- Ditching Bucket: Ditching buckets have a unique shape that makes them well-suited for creating drainage ditches and shaping slopes. They are commonly used in water management and agricultural applications.
- Rock Bucket: A rock bucket is designed with thicker, more durable materials to handle rocky and challenging terrains. It usually has reinforced tines or teeth to withstand the abrasive nature of rocks.
- Cleanout Bucket: Cleanout buckets have a larger capacity and are designed for moving loose materials, such as soil, sand, or gravel. They are useful for cleaning up job sites and moving materials quickly.
The size and type of bucket you choose for your Kubota U17 will depend on the specific requirements of your project.
Kubota and other manufacturers typically offer a range of bucket sizes and types to match the machine’s capabilities and your job site needs.
It’s essential to select the right bucket to maximize the efficiency and productivity of your excavator while minimizing unnecessary wear and tear on the machine.
Always consult with your local Kubota dealer or equipment supplier for guidance on choosing the appropriate bucket for your specific tasks.
Kubota U17 Thumb
The Kubota U17 excavator can be equipped with a hydraulic pin-on excavator thumb, which is sold separately. Here are some search results that provide information on the Kubota U17 excavator thumb:
- Showtimefab.com offers a turn-key thumb kit that fits Kubota KX018, KX41, KX61, U15, U17, U20, and U25 mini-excavators using the Kubota factory quick attach system. The kit includes two tine 13″ wide hydraulic excavator thumb constructed from all USA made steel, two 0.75″ AR400 steel tines, welded USA made hydraulic cylinder to fit the factory mount on your dipper stick, heat-treated 4142 hardened steel pins, and protected grease fittings on all pivot points
- Oxthumbs.com offers a complete thumb kit that fits Kubota KX018-KX41-KX61-U15-U17-U20-U25 mini excavators using the Kubota factory quick attach system. The kit includes Gates hoses to connect to the factory hardlines, and all components are fabricated in Georgia with steel made in the USA
- Miniexcavatorthumbs.com offers Kubota thumb attachments that are built to fit a variety of Kubota equipment, including the Kubota U17 excavator. The thumb attachment features 7″ universal width, 1/2″ thick USA steel, hardened steel pins, hydraulic or mechanical adjustment, teeth the entire length, and 2 fingers for secure grip
- Everythingattachments.com offers the Amulet POWERBRUTE Hydraulic Excavator Thumb for 1-3 Ton Excavators, which is compatible with the Kubota U17 excavator. The thumb measures 7″W x 20″L for optimal grabbing and holding
Features of Kubota U17 Excavator Thumb:
- The Kubota U17 excavator thumb is a hydraulic pin-on excavator thumb that is sold separately.
- The thumb attachment features two tines that are constructed from all USA made steel.
- The thumb attachment includes a hydraulic cylinder that fits the factory mount on the dipper stick.
- The thumb attachment has heat-treated 4142 hardened steel pins and protected grease fittings on all pivot points.
- The thumb attachment has teeth the entire length and two fingers for a secure grip.
How to Install Kubota U17 Excavator Thumb:
- The installation process for the Kubota U17 excavator thumb may vary depending on the type of thumb attachment being used.
- It is recommended to consult the manufacturer’s instructions or seek the assistance of a qualified technician to ensure proper installation.
Benefits of Using Kubota U17 Excavator Thumb:
- The Kubota U17 excavator thumb attachment allows for greater versatility and efficiency in excavating and material handling tasks.
- The thumb attachment provides a secure grip on materials, allowing for easier and more precise placement.
- The thumb attachment can help reduce the need for additional equipment or manual labor, saving time and money.
- The Kubota U17 excavator thumb attachment is made from high-quality materials and is designed to withstand heavy use, providing long-lasting durability.
Different Types of Hydraulic Thumbs Available for Kubota U17 Excavator:
- Hydraulic pin-on excavator thumb with hoses, which fits Kubota KX018, KX41, KX61, U15, U17, U20, and U25 mini-excavators using the Kubota factory quick attach system
- Turn-key thumb kit that fits Kubota KX018, KX41, KX61, U15, U17, U20, and U25 mini-excavators using the Kubota factory quick attach system. The kit includes two tine 13″ wide hydraulic excavator thumb constructed from all USA made steel, two 0.75″ AR400 steel tines, welded USA made hydraulic cylinder to fit the factory mount on your dipper stick, heat-treated 4142 hardened steel pins, and protected grease fittings on all pivot points
- Kubota thumb attachments that are built to fit a variety of Kubota equipment, including the Kubota U17 excavator. The thumb attachment features 7″ universal width, 1/2″ thick USA steel, hardened steel pins, hydraulic or mechanical adjustment, teeth the entire length, and 2 fingers for secure grip
- Amulet POWERBRUTE Hydraulic Excavator Thumb for 1-3 Ton Excavators, which is compatible with the Kubota U17 excavator. The thumb measures 7″W x 20″L for optimal grabbing and holding
How to Maintain the Kubota U17 Excavator Thumb:
- Regular maintenance is important to ensure the longevity and proper functioning of the Kubota U17 excavator thumb.
- It is recommended to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for maintenance and care of the thumb attachment.
- Regularly inspect the thumb attachment for any signs of wear or damage, and replace any worn or damaged parts as needed.
- Keep the thumb attachment clean and free of debris to prevent damage or malfunction.
Safety Precautions to Keep in Mind While Using Kubota U17 Excavator Thumb:
- Always read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the thumb attachment.
- Ensure that the hydraulic pressure is set correctly for the task at hand.
- Use caution when operating the thumb attachment, and be aware of the weight and size of the materials being handled.
- Never exceed the weight capacity of the thumb attachment.
- Always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, when operating the thumb attachment.
- Keep bystanders and other workers clear of the work area to prevent accidents or injuries.
How to troubleshoot common issues with Kubota U17 Excavator thumb
- Verify power: If the hydraulic thumb has stopped working, verify that power is going to the control valve solenoid for the thumb circuit when engaged. Look for any damaged wiring going to the control valve
- Check pressure: Put a gauge on both thumb lines and clamp down on something. Let the thumb valve go to neutral and then see a pressure rise on the rod end. The rod end of the cylinder will only build pressure if force is applied in some manner to pull the thumb cylinder out which should be near
- Check wiring: Look for any damaged wiring going to the control valve solenoid for the thumb circuit. If there is any damage, repair or replace the wiring as needed
- Check for leaks: Inspect the thumb attachment for any signs of leaks, such as hydraulic fluid on the ground or around the attachment. If there is a leak, repair or replace the affected parts as needed.
- Check for damage: Inspect the thumb attachment for any signs of wear or damage, such as bent or broken tines. If there is any damage, repair or replace the affected parts as needed.
Kubota U17 Lifting Capacity
The lifting capacity of the Kubota U17 excavator can vary depending on factors such as the configuration, boom length, attachments, and the specific model.
Generally, the maximum lifting capacity for a Kubota U17 compact excavator ranges from approximately 1,200 to 1,400 pounds (544 to 635 kilograms) when using a standard digging bucket.
However, it’s crucial to note that the lifting capacity can change based on factors like the boom’s angle and the reach.
Additionally, the use of different attachments may alter the machine’s lifting capacity.
To obtain precise information on the lifting capacity of a specific Kubota U17 model or configuration, it is advisable to consult the operator’s manual or contact your local Kubota dealer.
They can provide detailed specifications and guidelines for safe and efficient operation, taking into consideration any attachments or specific use cases.
Always adhere to the recommended safety guidelines and load capacities to ensure the safety of both the operator and the equipment.
Applications of the Kubota U17 Excavator
The Kubota U17 excavator’s versatility and compact size make it an excellent choice for various construction applications:
- Urban Construction: The U17 is a valuable asset for working in tight urban spaces, where larger machines might be impractical. It can easily access construction sites between buildings and on narrow streets.
- Landscaping: For tasks like digging trenches for irrigation systems, grading, and planting trees or shrubs in small gardens, the U17 is an ideal choice.
- Utilities Installation: It is widely used for installing utilities like water and sewer lines, as well as electrical conduits, thanks to its ability to dig precise and deep trenches.
- Demolition: Equipped with a breaker attachment, the U17 can efficiently demolish concrete structures and remove debris from job sites.
- Agriculture: In agriculture, the U17 is employed for tasks like digging post holes and clearing land.
- Roadwork: This excavator is essential for various road construction and maintenance activities, including ditching and culvert installation.
Kubota U17 Overall
Engine and Performance
Under the hood, the Kubota U17 is equipped with a reliable and fuel-efficient diesel engine that typically delivers around 17.2 horsepower. This may seem modest compared to larger excavators, but it is perfectly matched to the U17’s intended applications. The engine’s high torque allows it to handle various tasks, from trenching to light demolition. The hydraulic system is designed for precision and speed, ensuring efficient and economical operation.
Attachments for Versatility
One of the standout features of the Kubota U17 excavator is its compatibility with a wide range of attachments. Whether you are digging, grading, trenching, or breaking concrete, this compact excavator can be tailored to your specific needs. Common attachments include buckets, augers, hydraulic breakers, thumbs, and more. The quick coupler system facilitates rapid and effortless attachment changes, saving time and labor costs.
Operator Comfort and Control
Despite its small size, the Kubota U17 offers an operator-friendly environment. The operator’s station is designed with comfort in mind, featuring an adjustable seat, intuitive joystick controls, and a spacious cabin. The cabin can be equipped with heating and air conditioning options, ensuring operators can work effectively in all weather conditions. The controls are easy to master, making this machine suitable for operators of varying experience levels.
The U17 boasts exceptional manoeuvrability, thanks to its compact dimensions and zero-tail-swing design. This design allows the machine to rotate 360 degrees within its footprint, making it ideal for working in confined spaces. Its ability to navigate urban construction environments, where space is at a premium and obstacles are abundant, is a significant advantage.
Precision and Power
The Kubota U17 offers outstanding precision and control, crucial for working in tight quarters. The hydraulic system allows operators to delicately manipulate the bucket or attachment, making it suitable for fine grading and excavation tasks. With a digging depth of up to 7.7 feet and a reach of 13.5 feet, it can handle a variety of excavation and construction assignments with ease.
Safety is paramount in all Kubota construction equipment, and the U17 is no exception. The compact excavator features safety elements such as a travel alarm, a two-speed travel function, and a certified cabin that offers rollover protection and protection against falling debris. These safety features not only provide peace of mind for operators but also create a secure working environment.
Maintenance and Durability
Kubota is known for manufacturing reliable and durable machinery, and the U17 is no exception. Routine maintenance is straightforward, and Kubota offers excellent customer support and a network of service centers. This ensures that your investment will remain productive for years to come.
The Kubota U17 Excavator, with its compact size, powerful engine, compatibility with a wide range of attachments, and superior manoeuvrability, is a versatile powerhouse in the construction industry.
It excels in tight spaces and can be tailored to tackle a variety of tasks. Whether you are working in urban construction, landscaping, utilities installation, or any other industry, the Kubota U17 is a dependable and efficient choice.
With Kubota’s commitment to durability and safety, the U17 is a valuable addition to any construction fleet, demonstrating that big performance can come in a compact package.