Kubota RTV500 – Specs, Attachments, Prices
The RTV 500 is a Kubota made utility vehicle, designed both to haul cargo and transport people. It has a liquid cooled, 2 cylinder, 4 cycle, Kubota GZ460 gas engine, with a power output of 15.8 hp at 456 rpm.
It has a standard differential lock, with a maximum travel speed of approx 0-25 mph. It has a towing capacity of approx 1102 lbs, and a maximum cargo bed load of 440 lbs.
Kubota RTV 500 Specifications
All details relating to specifications, parts and attachments are approximate and should be checked with the manufacturer before any purchase or repair is made.
This in part is because changes can be made to a particular model over the years of production, and also a number of websites carry detailed technical information, which can sometimes slightly differ.
When checking exact specifications for a Kubota RTV500, there are a number of areas to check :
RTV500 Body color
- Normally orange
- Sometimes camouflage
- Type – number of cylinders and cycles
- Cooling system
Maximum traveling speed
RTV500 Four wheel drive system
- front differential
- rear differential
- front brakes
- rear brakes
- parking brake
- front suspension
- rear suspension
RTV500 Ground clearance
Occupant protective system (OPS)
- ROPS structure
- seat belts
- height, overall
- front tread
- Ria tread
- turning radius
RTV500 Cargo bed
- bed height
- cargo bed load
- dumping system
Fuel tank capacity
RTV500 Sound rating at operators ear at maximum rpm
Tires – front and rear
Front gard design
Hydraulic bed lift
Spray on bed liner
Kubota RTV500 Problems
Problems can occur with any RTV , either new or secondhand. Sometimes these problems are to do with defects in the machine, or with parts and sometimes they are to do with poor maintenance or simple checks and remedies.
Below are listed some of the most common problems with the Kubota RTV500, and some general ideas as to how these problems can normally be dealt with.
RTV500 Won’t start
Check the following
- Check the transmission gear shift lever. It may not be in the right position. Place the range shift lever into neutral and check the engine throttle lever is not put forward. Move the throttle half or full impulse.
- Check and see if the battery connection is loose or corroded. Check connections and retighten it necessary
- Check and see if the fuel shutoff valve is closed.
- Check and see if the fuel is either stale, or at an improper fuel level. Drain the tank if necessary of all fuel and refill.
- Check if the engine oil viscosity is correct or not, and if not completely change the oil in the tractor.there
- Check and see if the fuel filter is plugged, and if necessary place.
- check if the air intake filter is plugged, and if it is clean or if necessary replace the air filter elements.
- Checked to see if any of the fuses have blown and if necessary replace one or all of them.
RTV500 Won’t start, just clicks
Check the following
- Could be potential battery issues. Check that all the motor and battery connections are clean and tight.
- Check the battery voltage and its holding power and replace it necessary.
RTV500 Turns, but will not start
- The fuel may not be getting to the cylinder. check the fuel level, the shutoff valve and the fuel filter.
- Check the air filter. It may be too cold for the cylinder to combust mixture of air and fuel.
- Move the throttle back to idle and then half throttle and attempt to restart
Starting diesel engines in cold weather
- Use proper seasonal diesel blends. Winter blends have certain additives to ensure that they remain liquid when it is cold.
- Watch and check for bio diesel percentages
- idle the engines for a time before using, this increases its efficiency and range.
- Maintain the cooling system properly. Check the overall level and quality of coolant.
- Use various engine starting aids if necessary. Some of the most common are glow plugs, intake preheaters and block heaters.
- if the engine fails to start, this could be due to the cold start system malfunctioning, the fuel injectors may be dirty or there may be a faulty switch.
RTV500 Engine Problems.
Either the engine went start, or it is hard to start or start and then stalls. Check the following :
- There may be no fuel flow. check the tank, hoses, feel shutoff valve and fuel filter. Make sure they are all functioning properly and that there are no leaks from any of them.
- The exhaust smoke may be black. This may be due to too much oil, a clogged air filter or dirty fuel.
- The exhaust smoke may be blue or white. This may be due to fuel inside the muffler, a clogged fuel injection nozzle, poor quality fuel, a defective thermostat or that may be sediment in the fuel which may also be stale.
RTV500 Engine may be overheating.
Check the following
- The engine may be overloaded, in human terms too much may be asked of it. Lighten the load or shift to a lower gear
- The coolant level may be low check and see if it needs refilling and also check the hoses and radiator to make sure there are no links or loose connections.
- There may be a blockage in the coolant system that is affecting its flow. Best thing to do is to completely flush the whole coolant system and replace as necessary.
- The fan belt may be loose or damaged. It should be easy to check for wear and tear and any tension and replace as necessary.
- The radiator core or screens and dirty and simply cleaning them maybe enough to solve the problem.
RTV500 Steering issues.
Normally the steering either feels a bit loose or may pull to one side.
- Check the steering fluid. Check the hydraulic oil level, and check for any leaks.
- Tires may be a bit low or flat. Check for low tire pressure and reinflate all replaced if needed.
- The steering linkage may be in need of lubrication.
- If there is too much play in the steering wheel, and none of the above again difference them advice and assistance should be sought from the nearest Kubota dealership, as this could be a real safety concern.
The manual for the Kubota RTV500 is likely to have a section entitled troubleshooting or something similar. This information is also often found on a number of major Kubota websites, either entitled troubleshooting, resources or FAQ.
It mainly contains questions and answers on common problems and questions relating to Kubota machines generally, and can be a really useful source of advice.
Below are some of the main areas that are covered :
- How to obtain replacement owners manual or parts catalogue
- Free start-up checks. This can include removing debris from surrounding areas, checking oil levels and using fresh fuel.
- Follow all safety recommendations
- A recommended maintenance schedule
- How to change oil
- How to clean machine
- How to find the right spark plug
- How to lubricate gears
- How to maintain pistons and cylinders
- How to maintain air filters
- How to store when not in use
- Tire maintenance
- Which attachments are available
- How to obtain a wiring diagram
- Tracking adjustment if machine is putting to one side
- Type of fuel
- Warranty information, normally the type of coverage available depending if manufacturer or dealership warranty, and the length of the warranty as well.
- PTO problems
- Loader problems
- Steering box issues
- Starting problems
- How to fix attachments
- Optional extras as listed below
- Engine block heater
- Work lights, front and rear enabling high visibility at night
- Back buzzer
- Double acting remote hydraulic control valve
- Three point hitch
- Top and filter kit
Kubota RTV500 Maintenance and Servicing
One of the best ways to prevent a lot of common problems is to make sure that the RTV500 is regularly serviced, and all the recommended checks are carried out in accordance with the schedule laid out in the sservice manual.
Check the owners service and parts manual for full details
- Check all the service intervals. These are normally something like daily checks every 50 hours, every 100 hours, every 200 hours, every 400 hours, every 800 hours, every 15:00 hours, every 3000 hours, every one year, every two years and service as required.
- Maintenance of loader, including daily checks, lubrication and tire inflation.
- How best to store tractor, in terms of inside/outside, draining of fuel, maintenance of battery and electrical systems etc.
Kubota RTV500 and Biodiesel fuels.
Many people like to use biodiesel fuels in their Kubota RTV500 , but it is an area that is slightly complicated. Anyone wanting to use this type of fuel should look into it carefully, check the nature of biodiesel fuels, check manufacturers advice on whether or not to use it in their engine and check potential problems it may cause. Below is a list of some of the things to consider.
- What is biodiesel
- Is it safe to use biodiesel in RTV engines – check with the manufacturer
- What are the advantages of biodiesel
- Biodiesel fuel storage guidelines
- How does using biodiesel fuel affect the engine warranty
- Potential drawbacks to using biodiesel fuel
- Cold weather flow degradation
- Stability and storage issues
- possible filter restriction and plugging
- possible fuel leakage through seals and hoses
- possible reduction of service life of engine components
- possible coaching/block injector nozzles
- possible crankcase oil pollution
- potential corrosion of fuel injection system
- possible seizure of internal components
- possible formation of sludge and sediments
- possible thermal oxidation of fuel at elevated temperatures
- possible steel and gasket material degradation
- possible compatibility issues with other materials used in fuel handling distribution and storage equipment
- possible reduction in water separator efficiency
- potential high acid levels within fuel system
- potential damage to paint is exposed to bio diesel
- emissions – check engine year of manufacture
- emissions – how to find engine emissions certificates
- emissions – check engines horsepower rating.
Buying a second-hand Kubota RTV500 checklist
Many problems arise with a Kubota RTV500 when it is brought second-hand. Below is a checklist of things to look out for when buying a used second-hand machine which if followed, may help to alleviate some of the more common problems.
- Check vehicle documents and service book, warranty documents, year of manufacture, any chassis number and any outstanding finance.
- Check tires and wheels for wear and tear. Make sure the tires are the same type on any one axle, check for rim damage and check we’ll attachment for weights
- Check gearbox, especially if any grinding noises during steering. Check differential lock engages and disengages, functional rear and front power takeoff, PTO shaft condition and any unusual noises.
- Check lifting mechanism, the hydraulic pump system, any hoses and cylinders
- Check all electrical systems, make sure it is a functional lighting system and test all electrical elements
- Engine and battery – check for leaks in the unusual noises when starting or idling, any abnormal exhaust colouration. Check battery maintenance and emission control
- Oils and liquids – check for any oil leaks and liquid levels, check engine oil, coolant, hydraulic oil, servo oils and gearbox
- Cabin and visibility – condition of drivers seat, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems, display indicators working, front and rear windows free of damage and check windscreen wipers and mirrors are working properly.
- Overall condition – check the signs of repairs, proof that spare parts and accessories are original, check for any corrosion or rust and any unusual alterations to paintwork.
Kubota RTV500 Accessories and Attachments
There are a wide range of accessories available for Kubota RTV’s. depending on the vehicle, if it s new, second hand or ha sbeen adapted in any way. below are listed some of the main ones.
3 ft.³ rear salt spreader
3 ft.³ rear seed spreader
10 ft.³ cargo box salt and sand spreader
68 gallons sprayer system
Deluxe hydraulic controls and valve kits
Front hydraulic quick hitch
Commercial HD 60 inch Rotary Broom
Commercial HD front 72 inch straight and V blade
General duty front 72 inch straight blade
- metal canopy
- black canopy
- Orange canopy
- plastic canopy
- tempered glass windshield
- laminated glass windshield
- hardcoded polycarbonate windshield
- metal door
- final door with metal frame
- metal rear panel
- external mirrors
- he took it
- windshield wiper kit
- interior dome light
- LED worksites
- front lights
- rear lights
- strobe lights
- acrylic windshield
- clear windshield
- tinted windshield
- uncoated polycarbonate windshield
- plastic canopy
- halogen worksites
Engine hand throttle kit
Front HT spring and damper kit
Backup alarm kit
Turn signal/hazard light kit
Front CV joint guards
Rear CV joint guards
Splash guard kits – front and rear wheels
Mirror kit for cab
Tail lamp guard
Halogen work lights
Plastic cargo bed liner
Vehicle and storage,
Trailer hitch ball mount kit
Rapid access cargo system
Engine hand throttle kit
Front accessory box
Front heavy load springs
Front heavy load Strutt
Front trailer hitch and pin
Front work light
Hydraulic bed lift kit
Large front garden
Rear trailer hitch and pin
Winch mounting kit
Kubota RTV500 Accessories,
Kubota RTV500 Price / For Sale,
Kubota RTV500 Problems,
Kubota RTV500 Craigslist,
Kubota RTV500 Diesel,
Kubota RTV500 Windshield,
Kubota RTV500 Problems – Starting,
Kubota RTV500 Problems – Engine,
Kubota RTV500 Problems – Transmission,
Kubota RTV500 Problems – Gearbox,
Kubota RTV500 Problems – Troubleshooting,