Kubota KX121-3 Specs, Attachments, Prices, Rental
The KX121-3 is a Kubota made mini excavator, with a mximum cutting height of 17.8 ft, a maximum digging depth of 11.5 ft and a maximum loading height of 12.8 ft.
It has a V2203 engine, with a net power output of 42 hp, a displacement of 134 cubic inches and a fuel capacity of just under 17 gallons. It has an hydraulic pump flow capacity of 25 gallons per minute, an hydraulic system fluid capacity of 17.7 gallons and an operating weight of 9000 lbs
Kubota KX121-3 Specifications
All details relating to specifications, parts and attachments are approximate and should be checked with the manufacturer before any purchase or repair is made.
This in part is because changes can be made to a particular model over the years of production, and also a number of websites carry detailed technical information, which can sometimes slightly differ.
When checking exact specifications for a Kubota KX121-3, there are a number of areas to check :
- Emission certificate
- gross horsepower
- Net horsepower
- Peak torque
- Overall length
- Overall height
- Overall width
- Minimum ground clearance
- Pump capacity
KX121-3 Loader Performance
- Rated operating capacity – 50% tipping load
- Tipping load
- Breakout force – bucket
- Breakout force – lift arm
- Lift arm path
- Loader boom linkage
- Standard bucket capacity
- Tipping load straight – with bucket
- Tipping load straight – with pallet forks
- Tipping load full-time – with pallet forks
- Rated operating capacity – with bucket
- Rated operating capacity – with pallet forks
- Angle of articulation
- Frame oscillation
- Dump clearance
- Reach two hinge pins
- Reach fully raised
- Turn radius – loader clearance
- Turn radius – tire clearance
- Standard tire size
- Change size
- Travel speed – low
- Travel speed – hi
- Traction force
- Ground clearance
- Tumbler distance
- Crawler length
- Shoe width
- Ground contact pressure
KX121-3 Swing System
- Unit swing speed
- Boom swing angle – left
- Boom swing angle – right
- Dimensions – width
- Dimensions – height
- Maximum lift above ground
- Maximum drop below ground
KX121-3 Hydraulic System
- Loader hydraulic flow
- Loader hydraulic pressure
- Auxiliary hydraulic flow – standard
- Auxiliary hydraulic flow – high
- Maximum breakout force – bucket
- Maximum breakout force – arm
KX121-3 Service Refill Capacities
- Hydraulic tank
- Fuel tank
Operating weight (including operator weight, normally 175 lbs)
Kubota KX121-3 backhoe specifications (if appropriate)
- Bucket cylinder digging force
- Dipperstick cylinder digging force
- Boom swing mechanism
- Shipping weight
- Transport height
- Loading height
- Digging depth
- Swing pivot to rear axle centre line
- Reach from swing pivot
- Buckets rotation
- Swing arc
- Angle of departure
Kubota KX121-3 Loader specifications (if applicable)
- Maximum lift height to bucket pivot pin
- Dumping clearance
- Dumping reach at maximum lift height
- Maximum dump angle
- Reach with bucket on ground
- Bucket roll back angle
- Digging depth
- Bucket width
- Lift capacity
- Breakout force
- Raising time/lowering time – with and without load
- Bucket roll back time/dumping time
Kubota KX121-3 Problems
Problems can occur with any excavator / skid steer, either new or secondhand. Sometimes these problems are to do with defects in the machine, or with parts and sometimes they are to do with poor maintenance or simple checks and remedies.
Below are listed some of the most common problems with the kubota ????? excavator / skid steer, and some general ideas as to how these problems can normally be dealt with.
KX121-3 excavator won’t start
Check the following
- Check the transmission gear shift lever. It may not be in the right position. Place the range shift lever into neutral and check the engine throttle lever is not put forward. Move the throttle half or full impulse.
- Check and see if the battery connection is loose or corroded. Check connections and retighten it necessary
- Check and see if the fuel shutoff valve is closed.
- Check and see if the fuel is either stale, or at an improper fuel level. Drain the tank if necessary of all fuel and refill.
- Check if the engine oil viscosity is correct or not, and if not completely change the oil in the tractor.there
- Check and see if the fuel filter is plugged, and if necessary place.
- check if the air intake filter is plugged, and if it is clean or if necessary replace the air filter elements.
- Checked to see if any of the fuses have blown and if necessary replace one or all of them.
KX121-3 excavator won’t start, just clicks
check the following
- Could be potential battery issues. Check that all the motor and battery connections are clean and tight.
- Check the battery voltage and its holding power and replace it necessary.
KX121-3 excavator turns but will not start
- The fuel may not be getting to the cylinder. check the fuel level, the shutoff valve and the fuel filter.
- Check the air filter. It may be too cold for the cylinder to combust mixture of air and fuel.
- Move the throttle back to idle and then half throttle and attempt to restart
Starting diesel engines in cold weather
- Use proper seasonal diesel blends. Winter blends have certain additives to ensure that they remain liquid when it is cold.
- Watch and check for bio diesel percentages
- idle the engines for a time before using, this increases its efficiency and range.
- Maintain the cooling system properly. Check the overall level and quality of coolant.
- Use various engine starting aids if necessary. Some of the most common are glow plugs, intake preheaters and block heaters.
- if the engine fails to start, this could be due to the cold start system malfunctioning, the fuel injectors may be dirty or there may be a faulty switch.
KX121-3 Engine problems.
Either the engine went start, or it is hard to start or start and then stalls. Check the following :
- There may be no fuel flow. check the tank, hoses, feel shutoff valve and fuel filter. Make sure they are all functioning properly and that there are no leaks from any of them.
- The exhaust smoke may be black. This may be due to too much oil, a clogged air filter or dirty fuel.
- The exhaust smoke may be blue or white. This may be due to fuel inside the muffler, a clogged fuel injection nozzle, poor quality fuel, a defective thermostat or that may be sediment in the fuel which may also be stale.
KX121-3 Engine may be overheating.
Check the following
- The engine may be overloaded, in human terms too much may be asked of it. Lighten the load or shift to a lower gear
- The coolant level may be low check and see if it needs refilling and also check the hoses and radiator to make sure there are no links or loose connections.
- There may be a blockage in the coolant system that is affecting its flow. Best thing to do is to completely flush the whole coolant system and replace as necessary.
- The fan belt may be loose or damaged. It should be easy to check for wear and tear and any tension and replace as necessary.
- The radiator core or screens and dirty and simply cleaning them maybe enough to solve the problem.
KX121-3 Steering issues
Normally the steering either feels a bit loose or may pull to one side.
- Check the steering fluid. Check the hydraulic oil level, and check for any leaks.
- Tires may be a bit low or flat. Check for low tire pressure and reinflate all replaced if needed.
- The steering linkage may be in need of lubrication.
- If there is too much play in the steering wheel, and none of the above again difference them advice and assistance should be sought from the nearest Kubota dealership, as this could be a real safety concern.
The manual for the Kubota KX121-3 is likely to have a section entitled troubleshooting or something similar. This information is also often found on a number of major websites either entitled troubleshooting, resources or FAQ.
It’s mainly contains questions and answers on common problems and questions relating to Kubota machines generally can be a really useful source of advice.
Below are some of the main areas that are covered :
- How to obtain replacement owners manual or parts catalogue
- Free start-up checks. This can include removing debris from surrounding areas, checking oil levels and using fresh fuel.
- Follow all safety recommendations
- A recommended maintenance schedule
- How to change oil
- How to clean machine
- How to find the right spark plug
- How to lubricate gears
- How to maintain pistons and cylinders
- How to maintain air filters
- How to store when not in use
- Tire maintenance
- Which attachments are available
- How to obtain a wiring diagram
- Tracking adjustment if machine is putting to one side
- Type of fuel
- Warranty information, normally the type of coverage available depending if manufacturer or dealership warranty, and the length of the warranty as well.
- PTO problems
- Loader problems
- Steering box issues
- Starting problems
- How to fix attachments
- Optional extras as listed below
- Engine block heater
- Work lights, front and rear enabling high visibility at night
- Back buzzer
- Double acting remote hydraulic control valve
- Three point hitch
- Top and filter kit
Kubota KX121-3 maintenance and servicing
One of the best ways to prevent a lot of common problems is to make sure that the KX121-3 is regularly serviced, and all the recommended checks are carried out in accordance with the schedule laid out in the sservice manual.
Check the owners service and parts manual for full details
- Check all the service intervals. These are normally something like daily checks every 50 hours, every 100 hours, every 200 hours, every 400 hours, every 800 hours, every 15:00 hours, every 3000 hours, every one year, every two years and service as required.
- Maintenance of loader, including daily checks, lubrication and tire inflation.
- How best to store tractor, in terms of inside/outside, draining of fuel, maintenance of battery and electrical systems etc.
Kubota KX121-3 and Biodiesel Fuels.
Many people like to use bio diesel fuels in their Kubota KX121-3 , but it is an area that is slightly complicated it’s. Anyone wanting to use this type of fuel should look into it carefully, check the nature of biodiesel fuels, check manufacturers advice on whether or not to use it into engines and check potential problems it may cause. Below is a list of some of the things to consider.
- What is biodiesel
- Is it safe to use biodiesel in ???? engines – check with the manufacturer
- What are the advantages of biodiesel
- Biodiesel fuel storage guidelines
- How does using biodiesel fuel affect the engine warranty
- Potential drawbacks to using biodiesel fuel
- Cold weather flow degradation
- Stability and storage issues
- Possible filter restriction and plugging
- Possible fuel leakage through seals and hoses
- Possible reduction of service life of engine components
- Possible coaching/block injector nozzles
- Possible crankcase oil pollution
- Potential corrosion of fuel injection system
- Possible seizure of internal components
- Possible formation of sludge and sediments
- Possible thermal oxidation of fuel at elevated temperatures
- Possible steel and gasket material degradation
- Possible compatibility issues with other materials used in fuel handling distribution and storage equipment
- Possible reduction in water separator efficiency
- Potential high acid levels within fuel system
- Potential damage to paint is exposed to bio diesel
- Emissions – check engine year of manufacture
- Emissions – how to find engine emissions certificates
- Emissions – check engines horsepower rating.
Buying a second hand Kubota KX121-3 checklist
Many problems arise with a Kubota KX121-3 when it is brought second-hand. Below is a checklist of things to look out for when buying a used second-hand machine which if followed, may help to alleviate some of the more common problems.
- Check vehicle documents and service book, warranty documents, year of manufacture, any chassis number and any outstanding finance.
- Check tires and wheels for wear and tear. Make sure the tires are the same type on any one axle, check for rim damage and check we’ll attachment for weights
- Check gearbox, especially if any grinding noises during steering. Check differential lock engages and disengages, functional rear and front power takeoff, PTO shaft condition and any unusual noises.
- Check lifting mechanism, the hydraulic pump system, any hoses and cylinders
- Check all electrical systems, make sure it is a functional lighting system and test all electrical elements
- Engine and battery – check for leaks in the unusual noises when starting or idling, any abnormal exhaust colouration. Check battery maintenance and emission control
- Oils and liquids – check for any oil leaks and liquid levels, check engine oil, coolant, hydraulic oil, servo oils and gearbox
- Cabin and visibility – condition of drivers seat, heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems, display indicators working, front and rear windows free of damage and check windscreen wipers and mirrors are working properly.
- Overall condition – check the signs of repairs, proof that spare parts and accessories are original, check for any corrosion or rust and any unusual alterations to paintwork.
Kubota KX121-3 Attachments / Implements
There are a number of attachments available for Kubota excavator / skid steer machines, a general list of which is published below, and more detailed information beneath.
- Standard duty buckets
- Heavy duty buckets
- Combination buckets
- Rock buckets
- sidecut replacement kit
- Pallet forks
- Tilt hitch
- Skid steer hitch
- Silage defaced
- Primary Cedar
- Trip edge blade
- Cold planers
- Hopper Broom
- Road saw
- BR breakers
- Claw grapples
- Rock grapples
- Manure grapples
- Scrap grapple buckets
- Root grapples
- Box blade
- Concrete claw
- Skid cutter
- Dozer blades
- TR trenches
- Skid Auger
- Rock Auger
- Bolt on rock heads
- Loader boom
- Angle brooms
- Skid tillers
- Powered rakes
- Skid cutters
- Skid graders
- Stump grinder
- Tree/post puller
- Utility bucket
- Tree carriers
- Pin on trenching bucket
- Quick attach trenching bucket
- Tile grading bucket
- Cemetery bucket
- To hole quick coupler
- Three all quick coupler
- Hydraulic quick coupler
- Hydraulic thumb kit
- Hydraulic breakers
- Flail brush shredder
- 24 inch Frost Ripper
- Grading blade
- Solid tying grapple
- Excavating rake
- Vbratory compactor
- Compaction wheel
- Hydraulic auger
- Excavator Aauger
- Hydraulic breaker accessories
- Bucket hangers
- Bolt on cutting edges
- Spark arrester mufflers
- Screen type Spark arrester muffler
- Travel alarms
- Canopy light kits
- Strobe light kits
- Mirror kit
- Block heater kits
- Steel track kits
- Wide steel tracks/dozer blade extension kit
- Additional counterweight kit
- Brush guard kit
- Two-way service port kit
- Travel pedal kit
- Hose stay
- Special application tilt up door
- Pin connector for attachment control
- Multifunction control grip kit
- Engine bonnet lock kit
- Engine block heater
- Retractable seatbelt 3 inch wide
- Air ride seat suspension kit
- Strobe light kit
- Rotating beacon light kit
- Radiator screen kit
- Red tail light kit
- Rearview mirror
- Circulation fan kit
- Mounting plate kit
Kubota KX121-3 for Sale/Prices
Buying any new Kubota excavator
From a Kubota dealership – think in terms of buying a new car or truck – drill down to MSRP, dealership mark up, discounts both national and local.
Do negotiating online if possible, as this gives you greater control over the sales process. Check what attachments are included, and offers on servicing and maintenance, after sales help such as transportation etc.
Check different sources of credit
Get quotes from different dealerships, including outside the area you live in, competition is fierce. If buying out of state, check shipping costs and confirm they are included.
Do negotiating by email if possible- thsi measn you have everything in writing, and gives you more time to consider your options.
Buying any used Kubota excavator
Think in terms of buying a used auto or truck, both in terms of price and who to buy from.
Research current used prices on line – they will vary depending on the year of manufacture, engine size, how many hours it has been used for, what type of work it has been used for, and what type of ground it has been used on.
Decide on how much you are willing to pay, and whether to buy privately or through a Kubota dealership – privately includes on line dealers and auction sites. Prices will probably be lower than a dealership, but will also probbaly offer less protection.
If buying from a Kubota dealership, check if they know the history of the excavator / skid steer ??? -this can be really usefulin confirming its hours, servicing history and work record – type of work and land type of useage.
If out of manufacturers warranty, check what warrnty the dealership will offer, and if it includes / excludes tires etc.
Try and negotiate online if possible, and by email for reasons as above. Also research different sources of credit, Including Kubota Credit if available.
Kubota KX121-3 – Craigslist
Craigslist is a huge and popular marketplace for a wide range of agricultural products, such as the Kubota KX121-3.
The advantage is the ability to search locally by state, and by county. This means the practicality of inspecting the tractor is much greater, and also finding out its history and work detail.
The downside is that searching by locality limits the number of tractors that may be available, although if someone is willing to buy out of state then it broadens the search area significantly.
Kubota KX121-3 Owners Manual
The owners manual and the service manual for the Kubota KX121-3 are normally quite easy to obtain. If buying a new tractor then the manual will come with it, or should come with it, either as a hardback book, or as a downloadable PDF
If buying a used tractor and the handbook or manual is not available, then you can normally be obtained either from a dealership, or a number of sites online that offer it either as a free download, or available at a nominal charge.
Owners manuals and service manuals can also often be obtained from sites such as eBay and Amazon.
FAQ – TBA
Kubota KX121-3 Reviews – Common Questions
There are numerous reviews available online, ranging from full-length video reviews on sites such as YouTube, through to discussion forums such as tractor by net. the value of video reviews ifsthey show the tractor at its best, as most of these reviews are done by dealerships, or very enthusiastic customers.
Discussion forums tend to be more focused and constructively critical. They are a wide source of valuable information and normally have most issues concerning this tractor covered already, or have a wide range of users who are willing to the help with most detailed problems and questions
Kubota KX121-3 Specs,
Kubota KX121-3 Price,
Kubota KX121-3 Accessories,
Kubota KX121-3 – HST,
Kubota KX121-3 Engine,
Kubota KX121-3 Reviews,
Kubota KX121-3 Problems,
Kubota KX121-3 – Craigslist,
Kubota KX121-3 Attachments and Implements,
Kubota KX121-3 Backhoe,
Kubota KX121-3 Weight,
Kubota KX121-3 Instrument Panel,
Kubota KX121-3 Engine Problems,
Kubota KX121-3 Starting Problems,
Kubota KX121-3 Steering Problems,